The Live-in Caregiver Program allows professional caregivers to work in Canada. Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to work without supervision in a private household providing care for children, elderly persons or people who have disabilities. This is an excellent opportunity since after completing at least two years of employment within three years of arriving in Canada, you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency which will lead to Canadian Citizenship. The live-in caregiver must live in the employer's home. The Live-in Caregiver program exists as there is a shortage of Canadian workers available for care giving positions where there is a live-in requirement.
In order to become a Home Comfort Caregiver, you must commit to the following:
- Always act in good faith towards the family who employs you;
- Be hardworking, honest, diligent, courteous and respectful;
- Follow the family household rules;
- Treat all members of the household with compassion;
- Be friendly and easy to get along with;
- Be committed to the family who employs you.
You also must have a written employment contract between you and your future employer. The contract defines your job duties, hours of work, salary and benefits. The contract also reinforces your employer's legal responsibilities to you. This requirement helps provide a fair working arrangement between the caregiver and the employer and provides both parties with a clear understanding of what is expected of them.
Before you consider applying to work as a live-in caregiver in Canada, here are three main requirements you must meet in order to qualify under the live-in caregiver program:
- You must have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian high school education;
- You must have six months of full-time training in a classroom setting or twelve months of full-time, paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer, in a field or occupation related to the job you are seeking as a live-in caregiver;
- You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows you to function independently in a home setting.
If you meet or exceed the program requirements please fill out our online Caregiver Application form.