Attention job applicants! If you are applying for a job or wish to be included in our resume database, you may apply using special form. Please check below that your education and experience working in cooks industry meets the requirements of program.
Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, educational institutions and other establishments. Cooks are also employed aboard ships and at construction and logging campsites. Apprentice cooks are included in this unit group.
Cooks perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods;
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef;
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers;
- Oversee kitchen operations;
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment;
- May set up and oversee buffets;
- May clean kitchen and work area;
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies;
- May hire and train kitchen staff;
- Cooks may specialize in preparing and cooking ethnic cuisine or special dishes.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required;
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks or Completion of college or other program in cooking or Several years of commercial cooking experience are required.